A judge on Thursday decided not to renew a temporary restraining order issued this month against Ricky Martin by his nephew after the relative dropped the case.
In a virtual court hearing, the nephew “voluntarily abstained” from moving forward and said he no longer needed a protection order, a court spokesman told NBC News.
The order, due to expire Thursday, was issued July 1 under Puerto Rico’s Domestic Violence Prevention and Intervention Act, also known as Law 54, after the nephew claimed to have been romantically involved with Martin for seven months and now “fears for his safety,” according to documents obtained by Telemundo and shared with NBC News.
The judge made the decision after a hearing that was not open to the public or the press because cases brought under Law 54 are considered civil and confidential to protect the identity of the person bringing the charges.
According to a court spokesman, Martin and his nephew attended the hearing virtually.
“Destructive for me”
In a video message to NBC News after the hearing, Martin said he had been unable to defend himself over the past few weeks “because I followed a procedure whereby the law required me not to speak until I was brought before a judge.” the singer said.
But now that the case is closed, he says to begin his “healing process,” Martin said. “It was devastating for me, for my family, for my friends. I don’t wish this on anyone.”
Martin’s lawyer told NBC News on Wednesday that the singer was prepared to “go directly to the judge at the hearing” and deny he had any romantic or sexual relationship with his nephew.
According to the lawyer, Martin was also set to contest the allegations of stalking and harassing his nephew.
In a restraining order filed this month, the nephew also accused Martin of calling him frequently and “loitering around his house at least 3 times” after they “broke up 2 months ago.”
“To the person who claimed this nonsense, I wish all the best and wish that he finds help so that he can start a new life filled with love, truth and joy and not harm anyone,” Martin said. .
Marty Singer, one of Martin’s lawyers, said earlier that “the person who made this statement is struggling with serious mental health issues. Ricky Martin, of course, has never been and never will be involved in any kind of sexual or romantic relationship with his nephew.”
Live on Facebook this month, Eric Martin, one of the singer’s half-brothers, also said the allegations were made by a nephew who suffers from “mental health issues.”
On Wednesday afternoon, Puerto Rico police said in a statement that a man filed a complaint saying he received two harassing phone calls on Tuesday evening.
While police named the person who filed the complaint as Martin’s nephew, NBC News does not generally identify victims of alleged domestic violence.
The man told police that at 9:05 p.m. he answered a phone call from Canada’s area code and heard a male voice “threatening him with death if he spoke at the hearing,” the police said in a statement. A minute later he received another call from a New York number, and the man named the street where he lives.
Both numbers are offline as of Wednesday evening.
The nephew was represented in court by an attorney who works with the San Juan municipal government to provide legal representation for victims involved in Law 54 cases.
A spokesman for the San Juan municipal government declined to comment on the matter.
Joaquin Monserrat Matienzo, who is part of Martin’s legal team in Puerto Rico, said in a live interview with Telemundo Puerto Rico that the artist was on the verge of losing some work contracts due to the allegations.
Montserrat Matienzo also added that Martin’s family is heartbroken over allegations between relatives.
“As we expected, the temporary protection order was not renewed by the court,” Martin’s lawyers said. statement Thursday after the hearing. “The prosecutor confirmed to the court that the decision to dismiss the case was made by him alone, without any external influence or pressure, and the prosecutor confirmed that he was satisfied with his legal representation in this case.”
“It has never been anything more than a worried person making false accusations with absolutely nothing to back them up,” they added. “We are delighted that our client has seen justice and is now able to move forward in his life and career.”
Martin is currently in California preparing to perform with the Los Angeles Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl on Friday and Saturday. according to its representatives.
“Now my priority is to heal. And how can I be cured? With the help of music. I can’t wait to get back on stage,” Martin said.
To follow NBC Hispanic on the facebook, Twitter as well as Instagram.
Diane Morales contributed.
#Ricky #Martins #nephew #drops #sex #charges #judge #overturns #temporary #restraining #order